Duck Fat 50: Ultimate Movie Night Popcorn
Movie night goes glam with this indulgent popcorn, cooked on the stove top. Because it’s so easy to pop this way, and it’s more fun than the microwave. The duck fat gives it texture and a certain satisfying flavor, but the truffle butter takes it to another level. Serve it family-style, in a large bowl, or go for the in-theatre experience and use individual paper cones. But be warned: this popcorn is addictive.
- ½ cup high-quality popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons duck fat
- 2 tablespoons black truffle oil
- 3 tablespoons black truffle butter
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated super-fine
- Big pinch of dried Herbs de Provence
- Maldon sea salt, to taste
1. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt truffle butter. Remove from heat, add the truffle oil and set aside.
2. Heat the duck fat and 1 popcorn kernel, over medium-high heat, in a large pot with a lid. As soon as the kernel pops, add the rest of the popcorn, cover the pot and shake over the heat—quickly moving the pot back and forth over the burner—until the popping stops.
3. Pour half of the popcorn into a large mixing bowl, removing any unpopped kernels. Drizzle half of the butter-oil mixture and sprinkle half of the cheese and herbs over the popcorn, tossing to evenly distribute. Repeat with the rest of popcorn. Season to taste with Malden salt and serve immediately.